Best Counseling Schools in Kentucky
Proving counseling services to communities in Kentucky can be as lucrative as it is rewarding. Kentucky has several colleges and universities that offer counseling degrees. If you’re interested in this field, here are some of the best counseling programs in Kentucky.
How to Find a Counseling Program in Kentucky
As you evaluate the various counseling programs in Kentucky, make sure you ultimately select one that works well for you. The right program will have a degree, specialization, tuition, and schedule that matches your interests and needs.
Counseling Degree Pathways in Kentucky
Which degree you should apply for depends on your current credentials and future goals. You might consider a(n):
- Associate Degree: two-year degree that requires a high school diploma (or equivalent)
- Bachelor's Degree: four-year degree that requires a high school diploma
- Master's Degree: one to two-year degree that requires a bachelor's
- Doctorate Degree: three to six-year degree that requires a bachelor's or master's
- Graduate Certificate: six to twelve-month certificate that requires a bachelor's
A master's or doctorate degree is required to become licensed, and a doctorate can prepare you for the highest levels of work. You might go into clinical leadership with a Psy.D. doctorate or research with a Ph.D. doctorate. Graduate certificates are primarily used for specialization, after either a bachelor's or master's program.
For undergraduate students, an associate degree offers a quick and relatively inexpensive way to enter the field. A bachelor's provides more employment opportunities as you gain experience.
Choose a Counseling Specialty
Counselors may provide general services or specialized services. Specialization is a good choice if you want to work with a particular population, or if you want a way to differentiate yourself.
Should you decide to specialize, a number of Kentucky schools with counseling degrees have specialized tracks. For example, you might be able to complete a degree with a focus on the following:
- Play and expressive arts therapy
- Marriage and family therapy
- School counseling
- College and career counseling
- Addictions counseling
Make sure that you ultimately earn a recognized counseling degree. Only accredited schools are guaranteed to provide degrees that are recognized by employers and other schools.
Most counseling degrees are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP). You might also consider a program that's accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA).
Online vs. Traditional Counseling Programs in Kentucky
Kentucky schools have both online and traditional (in-class) counseling programs. An online program makes a degree attainable even if you have other obligations, and online programs usually have lower tuition rates. A traditional program provides the classroom experience, which usually results in more interaction with others, and also gives you easy access to library resources.
Whether you should attend an online or traditional counseling program depends on what you need from a program. Select whichever mode better suits your situation.
Becoming a Licensed Counselor in Kentucky
Before you can apply to become a licensed professional counselor in Kentucky, you must first complete a master's degree of at least 60 graduate semester hours. The degree has to include at least 600 hours of practicum (CACREP-accredited programs will). Upon graduating, you'll have to meet additional requirements: 4,000 hours of supervised work, a licensing exam, and a fee.
Once you're fully licensed, the license must be renewed every year. Renewal is due on October 31st and requires you to complete 10 continuing education units annually.
List of Counseling Degree Programs in Kentucky
Are you searching for a counseling degree program in Kentucky? Browse our comprehensive list of schools offering counseling programs, both online and on-campus, and follow the links to learn more about what each program has to offer.
Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University
- Master of Arts in Education in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling Campus
- Master of Arts in Education in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Campus
- Joint Undergraduate-Master's Programs (JUMP) in Counseling Campus
- Addictions Education Campus
- Certification Only, Counseling Campus
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1000
Campbellsville, KY 42718-2799
(270) 789-5000 x5000
Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University
Highland Heights, KY 41099
University of Kentucky
- Master of Arts in Counseling (specialties in Rehabilitation Counseling and Mental Health Counseling) Online
Lexington, KY 40506-0032
Louisville, KY 40203-2188
University of Louisville
- M.Ed. in Counseling & Personnel Services (Art Therapy) Campus
- M.Ed. in Counseling & Personnel Services (Clinical Mental Health Counseling) Campus
- M.Ed. in Counseling & Personnel Services (College Student Personnel) Campus
- M.Ed. in Counseling & Personnel Services (School Counseling and Guidance) Campus
- Ph.D. in Counseling & Personnel Services (College Student Personnel) Campus
- Ph.D. in Counseling and Personnel Services: specialization Counselor Education and Supervision Campus
- Ph.D. in Counseling & Personnel Services (Educational Psychology, Measurement, and Evaluation) Campus
Louisville, KY 40292-0001
Midway, KY 40347-1120
Morehead State University
- Rank I in Counseling Online
Morehead, KY 40351
Murray State University
- School Counseling Campus
Murray, KY 42071-3318
Eastern Kentucky University
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Campus
- Master of Arts in Education - School Counseling program Campus
- M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling as a Second Degree (Following EKU Masters in School Counseling) Campus
- M.A.Ed in School Counseling as a Second Degree (following EKU Masters in Mental Health Counseling) Campus
Richmond, KY 40475-3102
University of the Cumberlands
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Asbury Theological Seminary
- Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling Campus
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Counseling Campus
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Campus
Wilmore, KY 40390
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.