Online Ph.D. Doctorate Degree in Counseling
A doctorate degree is known as a “terminal” qualification. That is, you cannot go higher than this – it’s the top qualification for experts in any field. It can take many years to complete, is research heavy (though there will be some degree of seminar discussions and teaching), and is student-led. Doctorate degrees are typically taken after a master’s degree, though some exceptional students can jump straight to a doctorate from a bachelor’s degree. To enter into the most prestigious counseling careers, completing a doctorate degree such as a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology is an excellent pathway.
Researching and applying to online psychology doctorate degree programs can get pretty exhausting pretty fast. College websites aren’t always the easiest to scan for information, and even after reading about a particular program, you may still be left with many questions. Luckily, we’ve been doing this for a while and we’ve developed a few methods along the way that make researching programs a little easier. If you’re interested in the ways we accomplish our research, feel free to take a look at our Rankings Methodology page for more information.
Georgia State University
Learners seeking to teach in the counseling profession can obtain their Counselor Education and Practice Ph.D. from Georgia State University. The on-campus offering includes experiences in human growth and development, psychological assessment, and multicultural counseling.
University of the Cumberlands
Practicing counselors looking to teach or lead can transition careers with an Online PhD in Counselor Education & Supervision from the University of the Cumberlands. The research-heavy doctorate program includes clinical supervision and leadership components.
Florida Atlantic University
Experienced, licensed counselors seeking to advance to leadership roles within their larger profession can attain their PhD in Counseling from Florida Atlantic University. The degree has specialties in Leadership and Supervision, School Counseling, Children and Family, and more.
Ph.D. doctorate degrees in counseling come in several specialty areas. These include:
- Doctorate in Addiction Counseling
- Doctorate in Biblical Counseling
- Doctorate in Genetic Counseling
- Doctorate in Marriage & Family Therapy
You can complete a doctorate via distance learning. In fact, it's highly suited to attaining a terminal degree due to the level of self-guidance and research. Seminars and contact time with professors can be accomplished via the internet.
If you've worked in the field for many years and now have a family or full-time job that you wish to work the doctorate around, it's entirely possible. Again, with the flexibility of a counseling Ph.D. program, you can spread this over eight or many more years.
The main disadvantage, as with any other type of qualification, is the lack of contact time with peers and other doctorate students.
From entry-level to advanced, there's a counseling degree for your needs.
Learn more about the different online and campus-based counseling degrees available to you.
Doctorates (or doctoral degrees) are targeted to specific niche areas. They go even deeper than a master's degree to develop expert-level knowledge of niches. Doctorate research subjects are chosen by the student who has identified either a gap in the knowledge or a problem that they think they can research and answer.
Counseling Ph.D. programs don't follow the typical pattern of study through coursework – most of the work is self-guided with professors on hand. However, most will have group seminars and one-on-one guidance.
What Are the Doctorate Degree in Counseling Admission Requirements?
Doctoral programs expect applicants to have minimum entry requirements which differ slightly from other degree types:
- A master's degree (bachelor’s degree in exceptional circumstances) in a relevant subject – counseling, psychology etc.
- Academic transcripts
- A GRE may be required in some cases
- Letter of recommendation for a Ph.D. from a university professor
- A statement of purpose detailing what you intend to research (and how) to obtain your doctorate
- You may be required to submit your MA dissertation and any other project work
- Applicants from outside the US will be required to provide proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) unless they come from an exempt country
- International students may also be asked to formally translate their qualifications to equivalents relevant to the U.S. education system
What Is the Length of a Doctorate Degree in Counseling?
A Ph.D. in counseling can take many years, though five or six years is fairly typical for doctoral candidates working at a regular pace. The most commonly cited term is seven to eight years. Due to its flexible nature, you may work around full-time employment and family commitments while your thesis progresses.
Doctorate programs are the highest level of qualification in any field. Due to their intensity and earning capability, they are therefore the most expensive programs you can study. Typically students pay per year, or a total amount spread out over the duration of the program.
Students can expect to pay anywhere from $35,000 to upwards of $100,000 for a counseling Ph.D. program, with most falling in the $50,000 range. Tuition costs fluctuate based on school, location, in-state or out-of-state residency, specialty/concentration, and many other factors. Military veterans may be eligible for discounted tuition rates.
There are many ways for doctoral students to pay for their counseling Ph.D. program. Most of the funding will come in the form of research grants and funding from the university. The figures are high, but you will rarely pay the total cost yourself – you may also "pay" in the form of your labor, working for the university in teaching support or as a research assistant.
There are also full scholarships that will essentially cover everything – living costs, research funding, and other necessary expenses for those who are eligible. Check your school of choice for scholarship and financial aid information.
Find an online or campus-based Ph.D. doctorate degree program in Counseling today – our state-by-state listings make it easy to find a great program near you.
Jump to Your State Listings
Louisville, KY 40292-0001
- Ph.D. in Counseling & Psychological Studies - Biblical Counseling Online
- Ph.D. in Counseling & Psychological Studies - Marriage & Family Ministry Online
- Ph.D. in Counseling & Psychological Studies - Pastoral Counseling Online
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision Campus
- Ph.D. in Counseling & Psychological Studies – Addictions Counseling Online
Virginia Beach, VA
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.
- Couples in These U.S. States Have the Happiest Relationships - September 14, 2023
- The Number of BIPOC Therapists Available in These Major Cities is Alarming - July 13, 2023
- Tips for Navigating the Graduate School Application Process for Counseling and Psychology - March 23, 2023