Online Master’s Degree in Counseling
A master's degree is the most common type of graduate program. There are several options for counseling students – the Master of Arts (MA), and the Master of Science (MS or MSc) including ones that are in an online format. Master's degrees are great qualifications for graduates seeking higher-level counseling jobs requiring more specialized knowledge. However, they are also great springboards toward doctorate degrees for careers in academia.
Not every online psychology bachelor’s degree program is born equal. Many people who sign up for such a program may get halfway through the first semester and realize that it wasn’t quite what they expected. We understand the importance of dedicated research and that’s why we’ve fine-tuned our approach to researching the programs we suggest in our guides. If you’d like to take a closer look at the ways we’ve developed our methodology, check out our Rankings Methodology page.
John Carroll University
John Carroll University in University Heights, Ohio has in its catalog an Online Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree that makes use of live and asynchronous instruction. The Master of Arts applies a community-focused training model and evidence based practices.
University of New Haven
Those seeking to gain the expertise to practice as licensed professional counselors can enroll in the Online Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree at the University of New Haven. The program prepares completers to attain their licenses to practice.
University at Buffalo
University at Buffalo has in its offerings a Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling that readies students to treat those with psychiatric, cognitive or sensory disabilities. The offering includes Counseling Techniques, Rehabilitation Foundations, and Human Growth and Development.
Wake Forest University
Wake Forest University offers two online graduate degrees in Mental Health and School Counseling for those seeking to advance their careers. The adult and youth-focused programs train students in counseling their respective populations in a range of settings.
Sacred Heart University
Counseling students can pursue a School Counseling program at Sacred Heart University located in Fairfield, CT. The mostly online programs ready students for professional advancement as well as real-world counseling practice.
You may find master’s in counseling specialties, including:
- Master’s in Addiction Counseling
- Master’s in Biblical Counseling
- Master’s in Genetic Counseling
- Master’s in Clinical Counseling
- Master’s in MFT
- Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master’s in Pastoral Counseling
Distance learning options are available for master's degrees in counseling. Much like traditional on-campus programs, students can complete the program in a little over one year – though closer to two years is most common. However, distance/online learning is designed for a more flexible and slower pace. It's possible to complete a master's degree over three or even more years.
There are, of course, some disadvantages to online programs. Mostly, you will lack the social and communal aspects of being a grad student. Direct connections with fellow students and professors can be harder with online programs, and students must be disciplined enough to complete coursework around other distractions.
From entry-level to advanced, there's a counseling degree for your needs.
Learn more about the different online and campus-based counseling degrees available to you.
Master's degrees in counseling typically come with a specialty – it is at this level that you will niche down. Examples include Art Therapy, School Counseling, Clinical Mental Health, and Marriage & Family Therapy.
You may have some general courses to study which will be mixed in with your program specialization:
- Introduction to Counseling
- Human Development
- Career Counseling and Lifestyle
- Group Counseling
- Counseling Programs Development
- Social and Cultural Diversity
- Assessment Procedures
- Substance Abuse and Addictions
- Research Methods
- Career Counselling
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Advanced Issues in Psychotherapy
- Special Projects
- Internship and other practice experience may be required during the program
Universities typically ask for the following as minimum entry requirements for applicants:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A background in counseling, psychology, education, social work, or equivalent
- A statement of purpose
- Recommendation letters – two or three are normal
- Portfolio or work record
- International students will be expected to convert their qualifications through a dedicated and recognized program and fulfill all the above criteria
- English proficiency is required. Non-citizens and those from non-exempt countries must prove English language capability
What Is the Length of a Master's Degree in Counseling?
Most online master's degrees in the U.S. take between one and two years to complete, with 18 months being the most typical. It is rarely possible to complete in one year due to the type of work and the amount of workload.
Adult learners with graduate certificates may sometimes be permitted to use their credits towards a master's degree, therefore reducing the amount of work. However, in most cases, that graduate certificate must have been conferred by the same university where you now intend to complete a master's program.
There is no standard rate for a master's degree, and in most cases, you pay by the year rather than by credit (as is the case at the undergraduate level). Tuition varies depending on the school's prestige and program demand. Typical tuition is reportedly around $12,000 for public institutions, while private universities can be upwards of $30,000 or more per year.
Most students seek loans to pay the cost of tuition as self-funding can be a hardship straight after a bachelor's. Loans help spread the cost over many years.
Despite common belief, FAFSA money is available for master's students. Due to its lower limit, it may not be ideal. The Federal Stafford Loan and the Federal Grad Plus Loan are alternative funds specifically for grad students.
Students can also check for scholarships – some are available purely on academic performance, while others have set criteria based on demographics (socioeconomic background, demographic identity, etc.).
Find an online or campus-based master’s degree program in Counseling today – our state-by-state listings make it easy to find a great program near you.
Jump to Your State Listings
Birmingham, AL 35294-0110
Phoenix, AZ 85017
Jonesboro, AR 72401
Russellville, AR 72801-2222
Magnolia, AR 71753
- Master of Science in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling Campus
- Master of Science Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling Option Campus
- Master of Science Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling - Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Option Campus
- Master in School Counseling Campus
- Master of Science in Counseling-Student Affairs & College Counseling Option Campus
Fresno, CA 93740
Northridge, CA 91330
Sacramento, CA 95819-2694
Orange, CA 92866
Denver, CO 80217-3364
Orlando, FL 32816
Valdosta, GA 31698
Chicago, IL 60654
Macomb, IL 61455
Bloomington, IN 47405-7000
South Bend, IN 46615-7111
Marion, IN 46953
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Campus
- Master of Arts in Education - School Counseling program Campus
- M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling as a Second Degree (Following EKU Masters in School Counseling) Campus
- M.A.Ed in School Counseling as a Second Degree (following EKU Masters in Mental Health Counseling) Campus
Richmond, KY 40475-3102
Highland Heights, KY 41099
Louisville, KY 40292-0001
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1000
- Master of Science in Counseling under the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Track Campus
- Master of Science in Counseling under the School Counseling Track Campus
- Master of Science in Counseling under the Addiction Counseling track Campus
- Master of Science in Counseling Combined track Campus
- Online Master of Science in Counseling (M.S) Online
Monroe, LA 71209-0000
Longmeadow, MA 01106
Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Rochester Hills, MI 48309-4401
Minnetonka, MN 55343
Minneapolis, MN 55402-3389
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Billings, MT 59101-0298
Las Vegas, NV 89154
Portales, NM 88130
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness Campus
- School Counseling or Bilingual School Counseling / LGBT Health, Education, and Social Services Campus
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness / LGBT Health, Education, and Social Services Campus
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness / LGBT Health, Education, and Social Services Campus
New York, NY 10012-1091
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Toledo, OH 43606-3390
Oklahoma City, OK 73170-9797
Portland, OR 97219-7899
Glenside, PA 19038-3295
Philadelphia, PA 19114-2009
Kutztown, PA 19530-0730
Rock Hill, SC 29733
Chattanooga, TN 37404
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
Odessa, TX 79762-0001
Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
Hampton, VA 23668-0099
Lynchburg, VA 24515
- M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Christian Counseling Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Grief Counseling Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Human Services Counseling Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Life Coaching Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Marriage & Family Ministry Online
- M.A. in Human Services - Trauma & Crisis Counseling Online
- M.A. in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling Campus
- M.A. in Pastoral Counseling Online
- M.A. in School Counseling Campus
- M.S. in Psychology - Addictions Online
- M.S. in Psychology - Marriage & Family Online
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling Campus
- Clinical Mental Health & Addictions Counseling Campus
- Clinical Mental Health & Military and Veterans Counseling Campus
- Couples, Marriage and Family Counseling Campus
- School Counseling Campus
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling Online Online
- Clinical Mental Health & Military and Veterans Counseling Online Online
- School Counseling Online Online
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795
Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.
- 6 Pros and Cons of Enrolling in an Online Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling Program - November 17, 2023
- What Types of Counselors Work With Kids? - October 14, 2023
- How Do You Know If a Counseling Career is Right For You? - October 12, 2023