Best Psychology Schools in Minnesota
If you’re considering your options to study psychology in Minnesota, this guide contains some of the most vital information that you’ll need. Whether you’re a new undergraduate considering a psychology career or are considering your next step with a graduate degree, read on to learn about your options in the state.
Any degree search should include as many variables as possible to ensure you make the right choice. Think about your long-term future in psychology and consider the following factors.
Psychology Degree Pathways in Minnesota
What is your intended psychology career outcome? You'll find career paths for both undergraduate degree types – the two-year associate's degree, and the four-year bachelor's degree (available as a BS – science, or BA – arts). Associate degrees in psychology will only lead to limited entry-level positions but can be a good way to get started. Only with a bachelor's degree can you continue into graduate studies, which leads to most psychology careers.
The master's degree is the most common path and the one you will need to eventually enter clinical practice. Psychology master’s degrees are available in two types: the Master of Arts (MA) and the Master of Science (MS).
Choose a Psychology Specialty
In most cases as an undergraduate, you will not be able to choose a specialty and will major in general psychology. That changes at the graduate level.
The University of Minnesota has a few undergraduate and graduate degree options including psychology BS and BA majors, a minor, and a Ph.D. Their Duluth and Saint Mary's campuses have master's degrees as well. Winona State University offers two master of science degrees – one in clinical mental health, the other in school counseling.
It's important that any psychology program you choose is accredited. It's the best pathway to a great career, due to the following:
- It ensures minimum quality standards for teaching and research, which have been analyzed and approved
- Only graduates of accredited programs may work in a clinical role
- Some non-medical careers may require accredited study
- Professional bodies may permit or refuse membership based purely on such accreditation
Prospective psychology students in Minnesota have a few choices on how they study. The first and most popular is on-campus, in-person program delivery, with scheduled classes and firm deadlines and semesters. The benefits of this program format include formal structure and in-person contact, but it doesn't suit full-time employees or primary caregivers such as parents.
The second choice is entirely online psychology programs, which allow students to complete coursework from home, working around employment and familial obligations. On the downside, students enrolled in fully online programs may not be able to take advantage of physical resources such as libraries. Not everything is digitized.
Hybrid programs are sometimes available, which mix in-person classes with online study.
Only those with a doctorate degree may practice psychology in Minnesota. Both Ph.D. and PsyD doctorates are eligible, and you will be expected to follow the same path to licensure with either degree type.
While completing your psychology doctorate, you must carry out 1,800 hours of internship over one year to 30 months, at a minimum of 20 hours per week. Unlike many other states, you don't need additional post-doctoral supervised experience.
Once you have completed your doctorate, you may apply for licensure. At this time, you must take and pass two exams. The first is the state Professional Responsibility Examination (PRE). The second is the national Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP).
Are you looking for a psychology degree program in Minnesota? Browse our list of psychology programs offering both online and on-campus instruction. Follow the links to learn more about what each school’s psychology program offers.
Duluth, MN 55812
- Clinical Psychology (MA) Campus
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology (MA) Campus
- Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, Master of Arts (MA) Campus
Mankato, MN 56001
- MS in Applied Behavior Analysis Online
- MS in Clinical Psychology Online
- MS in Psychology Online
- Masters in School Psychology Online
- Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis-Autism Spectrum Disorder Online
- MS in Applied Behavior Analysis-Behavior Analysis in Education Online
- MS in Applied Behavior Analysis-Organizational Behavior Management Online
- MS in Clinical Psychology-Applied Research Online
- MS in Clinical Psychology-Forensic Psychology Online
- MS in Psychology-Child and Adolescent Development Online
- MS in Psychology-Educational Psychology Online
- MS in Psychology-Industrial/Organizational Psychology Online
- MS in Psychology-Sport Psychology Online
- Doctor of Philosophy in Behavior Analysis Online
- PhD in Psychology Online
- Doctor of Philosophy in Advanced Studies in Human Behavior Online
- Psychology Online
Minneapolis, MN 55402-3389
- Developmental Psychology B.A. Campus
- Child Psychology B.S. Campus
- BA in Psychology Campus
- BS in Psychology Campus
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0213
- BS in Psychology Online
- BS in Health Studies Health Psychology and Behavior concentration Online
- BS in Psychology Accelerate Into Master's (AIM) Online
- BS in Psychology Forensic Psychology concentration Online
- BS in Psychology Workplace Psychology concentration Online
- Online PhD in Clinical Psychology Online
- PhD in Forensic Psychology Criminal Justice Self-Designed specialization Online
- PhD in Forensic Psychology Crisis Leadership Management specialization Online
- PhD in Forensic Psychology Legal Issues in Forensic Psychology specialization Online
- PhD in Forensic Psychology Self-Designed specialization Online
- PhD in Forensic Psychology Victimology specialization Online
- Online PhD in Industrial and Organizational (I/O) Psychology Online
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Saint Cloud, MN
Saint Cloud, MN 56301-4498
Saint Joseph, MN
Saint Paul, MN
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology Campus
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology Campus
- Bachelor of Arts in Sport Psychology Campus
Saint Paul, MN 55104-5494
- Master's in Counseling Psychology Campus
- Master's in Counseling Psychology-Family Psychology Concentration Campus
- Master's in Counseling Psychology-Co-Occurring Disorders Concentration Campus
Saint Paul, MN 55105-1078
Saint Peter, MN
St. Paul, MN
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.