Best Online Graduate Certificates in Marriage and Family Therapy
By the time you are in graduate school, you are ready for a marriage and family therapy graduate certificate program. This is an advanced level of training for counseling professionals that leads to being able to practice therapy with couples and families. If you are interested in providing therapy in a marriage and family setting and becoming a marriage and family therapist, you will need to earn an advanced degree or certificate.
Choose to go with an online marriage and family therapy graduate certificate to supplement your degree. You can save time and money on your education and get to work faster while still being a success.
An online graduate certificate program in marriage and family therapy is an advanced level of training. This training supplements general counseling and mental health practices. Along with being able to work with individuals, the marriage and family therapy certificate gives you the tools to work with these types of patients. Married couples, as well as individuals working towards marriage, are your new patient population.
In addition, you learn how to practice therapy modalities in family groups based on their unique dynamics. Whether you want to focus on married couples and adults in relationships or on families with members of all ages, this is a good opportunity to increase your employment opportunities as a counselor or therapist.
In addition, with the skills you learn in an online marriage and family therapy graduate certificate program, you will be able to start a private practice in this sector. There are several courses you need to take when in marriage and family therapy training at the graduate level.
- Sociological theories in working with social constructs in a patient setting
- Counseling and interview techniques
- Clinical application of mental health modalities
- Marriage and family therapy
- Sex, gender, and ethnicity training
- Substance use and addiction disorder in the family setting
- Family and group dynamics
- Christian counseling and theological concepts
- Diversity and cultural training
- Ethics and ethical development
- Program evaluation and survey research
By working in the private sector as a specialized marriage and family therapist, you can increase your skills in this area more rapidly. Rather than spreading your services across a wide berth of patient types, marriage, and family therapists are focused on this particular area. As a result, you gain a better understanding as a specialist in mental health services.
The training programs at colleges and universities that offer online marriage and family therapy certificates have varying admissions procedures. However, generally, you need to provide the same types of information in order to be accepted into a program. But what about 100 percent online and remote certificate training programs–do you have to apply to those in the same way as traditional schools? Yes, you do.
You will be expected to submit all transcripts, letters of recommendation, and proof of residency to a school offering online training. This is the same process that you went through when applying to undergraduate and graduate schools. To get to the next level with graduate training, be prepared with your basic application package of documents.
- College transcripts
- Letters of recommendation from professors and employers
- Proof of clinical experience and mental health training
- Externship and/or internship proof or records
- Personal statement or essay
- Job resume
- Application fees
The majority of marriage and family therapy programs at the graduate level prepare students for certification exams. Be ready to sit for a national board exam covering marriage and family therapy practices. This will lead to certification and licensing as a professional marriage and family therapist.
Find an online or campus-based graduate certificate program in marriage and family therapy today – our state-by-state listings make it easy to find a great program near you.
Jump to Your State Listings
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.
- 7 Mistakes to Avoid When Enrolling in an Online Master’s Degree in Counseling Program - February 20, 2024
- Is Child Psychology a Good Major For My Career Goals? - February 6, 2024
- Which Master’s Degree in Counseling is Right for You? 4 Great Options to Consider - January 4, 2024