Best Counseling Schools in Utah
Counselors help people with all sorts of challenges, and they help in meaningful ways. If you’re interested in this type of work, these are some of the best counseling programs in Utah that can prepare you for a long, fulfilling, and financially rewarding career.
How to Find a Counseling Program in Utah
You'll find many counseling programs available through Utah's colleges and universities. As you evaluate the various program options, consider how each one's tuition, schedule, time frame, and curriculum would match your needs. No matter what your needs are, you'll likely find a few programs that are good matches.
Counseling Degree Pathways in Utah
The counseling degrees that are available include both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Depending on your credentials, time frame, and long-term goals, you might choose any of the following degrees:
- Associate Degree: An associate degree will give you quick entry into the counseling field, but you'll have limited job opportunities. The degree takes two years and requires high school.
- Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor's degree will give you more job opportunities and prepare you for a master's program. The degree takes four years and requires high school.
- Master's Degree: A master's degree will allow you to become a licensed counselor (LPC) after you meet some other requirements. The degree takes one to two years and requires a four-year bachelor's.
- Doctorate Degree: A doctorate degree will give you access to high-level research (if a Ph.D.) or clinical (if a Psy.D.) work. The degree takes three to six years and requires at least a bachelor's. Some more competitive programs require a master's.
- Graduate Certificate: A certificate will give you specialized training in a particular type of counseling. The program takes six months to one year and requires at least a bachelor's.
Choose a Counseling Specialty
Some counselors working in Utah provide general services, while others provide specialized services. Numerous different specializations are available. For instance, degree programs offer tracks in:
- Addiction counseling
- Clinical mental health counseling
- Clinical rehabilitation counseling
- School counseling
- Community counseling
If you know what type of counseling you'd eventually like to provide, a degree program track could help you start specializing.
Most Utah colleges and universities that offer counseling degrees are fully accredited, but you should confirm accreditation status with any school that you apply to. Accreditation means that a school's degree meets academic standards and that your degree will be accepted by other institutions.
The Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) both accredit master's programs that meet Utah's licensure requirements. Other degrees may be accredited by these groups, the American Psychological Association (APA).
Online vs. Traditional Counseling Programs in Utah
Whether you decide to attend an online or traditional counseling degree program is a personal choice. If you have other responsibilities and/or limited resources, you might prefer a more affordable and flexible online program. If you want to meet professors in person, you might prefer a traditional program.
Becoming a Licensed Counselor in Utah
Utah requires all licensed counselors (LPCs) to complete a master's program that's accredited by CACREP or CHEA. You also have to complete a four-semester practicum, 4,000 hours of post-graduation supervised counseling, and an exam.
LPCs must renew their licenses every two years. Renewing requires that you complete at least 40 CE hours.
List of Counseling Degree Programs in Utah
Are you searching for a counseling degree program in Utah? Browse our comprehensive list of schools offering counseling programs, both online and on-campus, and follow the links to learn more about what each program has to offer.
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-1400
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.