Best Online Graduate Certificates in Autism Spectrum Disorders
Online graduate certificates in autism spectrum disorders are a professional enhancement for people who work with students or adults on the ASD spectrum. A person seeking this certificate is usually already enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program or has completed one of those degrees online. The graduate certificate provides additional specialized training, to better prepare professionals such as teachers, psychologists, speech-language pathologists, paraprofessionals, and interventionists.
Enrolling in one of the many online autism spectrum disorders graduate certificate programs will help a teacher or other professional learn the best skills and practices for working students or adults with autism and their families. The certificate program will help a person to work more effectively with individuals who have ASD. Most courses teach specific strategies for working with autistic individuals. Online programs are generally designed to conveniently teach participants learning and behavior support strategies. They will also learn to work with other types of professionals from other disciplines, to utilize a coordinated approach toward helping people with ASD.
Most of the best autism spectrum disorders graduate certificate programs require 15 credits to complete. Each course typically takes 7 to 8 weeks to complete, and many of these programs can be completed online. The coursework may vary somewhat from program to program, but many feature courses like the following:
- Foundations of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Assessment and Diagnosis of ASD
- Teaching Students with ASD
- Verbal Behavior
- Family-Centered Practices
- Positive Behavior Support
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication for Learners with ASD
People who choose to enroll in one of the many online graduate certificate programs in autism spectrum disorders have usually either started a career in a related field or are enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program. Students seeking to attain this certificate are given a timeframe in which to complete all the coursework for the program, such as two to three years. Some programs require students whose first language is not English to provide proof of English proficiency, especially for online certificate programs like the one offered by Arizona State University Online. Copies of the application packet may need to be sent to more than one individual in administration at the certificate school.
Admission requirements will vary between institutions, but will generally be similar to the following:
- Must be enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program in a related field
- Must have a 3.00 GPA in the last 60 hours of a bachelor’s program, or a 3.00 GPA in a related master’s degree program
- Submit a certificate application form to the appropriate offices at the institution’s College of Education
- Submit a personal statement explaining their interest in earning the graduate certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Submit official transcripts
- Submit a personal resume
Find an online or campus-based graduate certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders today – our state-by-state listings make it easy to find a great program near you.
Jump to Your State Listings
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.
- What Does a Typical Work Day Look Like For a Substance Abuse/Addictions Counselor? - February 20, 2024
- MFT vs LMFT: What’s the Difference? - January 17, 2024
- What Does a Typical Work Day Look Like For a Forensic Psychologist? - January 10, 2024